Venture with Thread Caravan to the majestic shores of Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Nestled amongst volcanoes and renowned as one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, Lake Atitlan is the perfect place to ground yourself in nature and the tradition of weaving.
We'll take you through the full textile process - from dyeing with natural dyes, to spinning the fibers, to actually weaving a creation of your very own. Travelers will work one-on-one with a local artisan to create a design and bring it to life. When we're not deep in textiles, we'll enjoy our surroundings: venturing to local markets and ancient ruins, learning about Mayan culture and relaxing in relaxing lakeside.
- May 6 - 12, 2018
- September 29 - October 5, 2018
- Choose your own dates! Already have a group of travelers you'd like to venture with? If you have 6 or more travelers, you can contact us to select your own dates. This option is great for work groups, craft groups, university students, bachelorette parties + more.
- Email us to inquire about or suggest future dates.
Guatemala [Lake Atitlan, Chuacruz, Antigua]
Pricing + Payment:
$1,800 [can be paid in full, or in three separate installments *includes $500 non-refundable deposit]
***$100 discount if booking with a friend or partner. Contact us for a discount code.
- In-Country Transportation: We will employ a skilled local driver who knows the roads and can safely take us to and from the airport and other destinations.
- Accommodation: Boutique hotel accommodation on Lake Atitlán and in Antigua, Guatemala. ***Rooms are double occupancy. Please let us know if you are booking with someone you'd like to share a room with.
- Food: Wholesome meals cooked daily by a talented local chef using fresh, local produce and traditional recipes combined with dining out in some of the country's best restaurants
- Art Education: A day of dyeing, a day of spinning, and two days of backstrap weaving, all providing a fair wage to our local artisan instructors
- Weaving Supplies: You will be provided with the necessary raw materials and tools to create a woven textile of your very own. At the end of the workshop, you will be able to take your weaving tools (sticks and backstrap belt) home with you if you'd like.
- Optional Extra Excursions: Choose between a visit to a Mayan ruin, traditional Mayan ceremony, volcano hikes, making a street mural, and more.
- Antigua Experience: Final day and night exploring the charming colonial town of Antigua, visiting markets and enjoying dinner on a rooftop patio.
- Support: A local and foreign guide will accompany the group during the trip, offering participants their combined knowledge of the country, while making sure everything runs smoothly. In addition, Thread Caravan staff is available to answer questions and assist with trip preparations beforehand.
- Gift: Special arrival gift with handmade Guatemalan goodies.
- Airfare: We've found that flights from the U.S. range from approximately $300-$700 depending on the airline and how far in advance you book. We are happy to help you arrange flights or put you in touch with a travel agent.
- Personal Travel Insurance: We recommend all participants to have personal travel insurance. This will cover things like illness, flight cancellations, theft, etc. We can help you arrange insurance with a provider.
Getting There and Away:
The Thread Caravan Guatemala weaving workshop starts and ends at the La Aurora International Airport in Guatemala City. You get there and we'll handle the rest. If you need help booking a flight, please contact us.
- Vaccinations: No vaccinations are required; however routine vaccinations, Hepatitis A, and Typhoid are suggested by the Center for Disease Control and U.S. Department of State.
- VISA: Eighty-six countries' citizens including citizens of the United States, Canada, the UK, and Australia do not need to obtain a VISA if they are staying in Guatemala for 90 days or less. Citizens from countries outside of the eighty-six exempt must obtain a tourist VISA. You can find a comprehensive list and map of countries exempt from a tourist VISA here.
- Passport Validity: In order to enter Guatemala, your passport must be valid for at least 90 days following your departure date. You must also have at least one blank page in your passport.
Words from Past Travelers:
"Thread Caravan took me on an adventure I wouldn't have been able to plan myself. From the hands-on experience and quality time with local artisans, to the incredible accommodations and delicious home-cooked meals - I couldn't imagine any better way to experience Guatemala and its beautiful culture."
"I am not a seamstress, but I decided to try the Thread Caravan trip anyway. The art components were very engaging, even for people who don't consider themselves artists, and we had time for other fun activities (reading in the hammock, cooking with the locals in their village home, swimming in Lake Atitlan and more!)
'On top of having a wonderful vacation, I made some great friends and developed a fun new skill. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone interested in taking a vacation off the beaten path!"
"I love textiles and I really wanted to explore the textile traditions of another culture. Serendipitously, Thread Caravan fell right into my lap and gave me the experience I was hoping for. The accommodations were amazing and helped to foster new friendships. I'll miss our late night conversations at the lake. Collaborating with the artisans and hearing their stories is an experience I'll never forget and Guatemala has so many beautiful sights, textures and colors to behold. I absolutely recommend taking an adventure to Guatemala with Thread Caravan."